How God is speaking to us...

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

This has been our prayer and God has graciously been giving us His incredible joy, peace, and hope as we trust in Him.
It is also our prayer for you!




Thursday 9 June 2011

What's "Fair"?

Just finished receiving the gift of an extended neck-rub from my 'companion on the journey'--to deal with a persistent headache.  Gifts are all around me if I but take the time to look for them and be grateful for what they are.

A couple of times the thought has come that what I'm experiencing (Bob) is "not fair." But when I analyze the thought (or take it captive to use a biblical image), what I'm really feeling is that I deserve better than this, and moreover, God owes me something better than I've been given.  It robs me of peace and joy and makes me quite dissatisfied. It amazes me how quickly my thoughts will change if I return to a core belief that I have; namely, that God is good and completely trustworthy in how he treats me in life. This quickly leads me to consider a posture of thankfulness and soon I'm no longer thinking things aren't fair.

On another level though, it isn't fair.  This isn't what God had planned for us, and deep within we know or sense this somehow.  Our whole world--despite all its beauty--is broken, sick and 'fallen.'  And I, along with many who suffer, protest against the effects of sin on God's design.  I look forward to the day when all will be set right and all will be "fair," if we want to use that language.

Bob

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure all of us, if we're honest about it, have many times said that life (and therefore God) isn't fair. But we come back to the fact that "God is good, all the time; All the time, God is good," as they say in Africa, where life certainly isn't fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob,
    Your post brought tears to my eyes because I so GET what you are saying about "fair" in this life. I remember having a conversation about this very thing regarding my circumstances, over dinner with you and Carol in the past 7 years.......We literally have to put on and keep on our God coloured glasses to see life through His eyes. I see you are wearing those glasses well my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob you are a very wise man and I thank you for this post. Thank you for sharing your wisdom with all of us who have struggled with what's "fair" in life and turning our hearts back to our Creator, who knows what's best. I continue to pray for you!
    With Love, Tracy

    ReplyDelete