How God is speaking to us...

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

This has been our prayer and God has graciously been giving us His incredible joy, peace, and hope as we trust in Him.
It is also our prayer for you!




Wednesday 4 April 2012

More chemo coming!!

Bob had his appointment with the oncologist this afternoon. Unfortunately he didn't have the results of the ultrasound, but he did have the labwork which revealed that his tumour markers have gone up again--and that, plus the increase in pain in his lower back, would indicate that there's more cancer activity going on again. Bob will resume chemo towards the end of the month--on April 27. The earliest he could get chemo would be the week earlier when we plan to be in Regina. At this point we still plan to go to Regina and then he will have his first chemo when we return.

We were kind of expecting to hear this, but of course were hoping and praying that we wouldn't. It's interesting that the first news of Bob's cancer came during Easter week last year, and at the very same time this year we're dealing with a bit of a setback. Thankfully Bob is feeling well overall--no weight loss or extreme tiredness that characterized him a year ago, but a recurrence of more cancer activity and some accompanying pain. Thankfully Tylenol taken every three hours is fairly effective at this point.

Being Passion Week, Bob and I have been doing a lot of reading and meditating on the sufferings of Jesus and have been touched more powerfully than ever at His deep love for us and His willingness to suffer. We've been reading a number of the Easter "Moments with the Savior" from one of our very favorite devotional books. They have been particularly poignant for us right now.

The author of "Moments with the Savior", Ken Gire, includes a prayer at the end of each meditation, and the reading about Jesus in Gethsemane was followed with a beautiful prayer that includes the following, as it addresses the difficult times in our lives:

"Lord, I know that sometime, somewhere, some type of Gethsemane awaits me. Just as it did you . . .

. . . Prepare me for that dark night, Lord. Prepare me now by helping me realize that although Gethsemane is the most terrifying of places, it is also the most tranquil.

The terror comes in realizing I am not in control of my life or the lives of those I love. The tranquility comes in realizing that You are!!”

Wow--That prayer struck me so profoundly when we read and prayed it two days ago, and we very consciously once again put our hands in the Lord's hand and entrusted Him with our lives.

There's NO safer place to be!!

SO . . . Let not your hearts be troubled--ours aren't--just a little tender!!

Thanks so much for your continued prayers.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that prayer Carol! It is beautiful.

    Love Katina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol, I'm glad you enjoyed a great visit to California for your dad's birthday, but I'm also concerned to read about the report from Bob's doctor. Be assured I will join you in praying! Let me add an AMEN to Katina's comment. The Gethsemane prayer touched me deeply. You've stirred me to read MORE of Ken Gire's devotional books. I've only read one thus far, and it was filled with rich spiritual insights. Hugh and I met one of Ken's good friends a couple weeks ago, the friend who helped Ken launch his book publishing career. As you can imagine, we thanked him profusely. Thank YOU for keeping up with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to hear this new result but glad to hear your continued hope and trust in God. You are both such an inspiration to me and I love you! Thank you so much Bob for sharing your gift of worship with us this morning. Carol thanks for continuing to write this blog and for that wonderful prayer. I must get that book!
    Love and hugs, Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Carol for sharing the "Gethsemane Prayer". Like the others it has also touched me deeply. I have friends who are going to go through a horrific court case this coming week and I have been praying of course for them. When it involves two Christian families I find it hard to understand how as Jesus followers (the ones family that has initiated all this) can act this way and the deep pain it has inflicted on the other family. This prayer rises to the occasion and I will pass it on to them. Praying still, and always, our friends for you and your family. We are a little disappointed with Bob's news but still trusting our risen Saviour for His best plan for you. Our love at this Easter time - a time of hope and promise!

    ReplyDelete